Thursday, April 21, 2011

Behavioral Interview Question

Give me an example of a time where you failed to meet a goal. What did you fail to do? What were the
consequences? What was the outcome?


During my sophomore year in college, my Animation instructor assigned us the task of producing a 3-act story of our own creation. This meant creating a concept, script, storyboard, and the actual animation. By the end of the semester we were to have a completely animated film. 

Much of the pre-production was completed without great difficulty. Having grown impatient from the pre-production process, I jumped right into animating. I was focused on producing an animation that not only showcased my talents, but solidified the credibility of my major in a predominantly fine art school. This would, however, prove to be a huge mistake. I allowed my actions to be dictated purely by ambition and not proper procedure. 

I never correctly planned for this project. With as much progress as I was making, I never factored in the possibility that anything damaging can happen to my work. When one is high on gullibility, fate delivers a very sobering dose of reality. After completely roughing out my animation I started the process of cleaning my drawings. During this time, 1/3 of my animation was randomly deleted. I had failed to save multiple copies of the footage that was lost. Despite the bulk of my project still being intact, it was the numbest feeling I had ever experienced. 

After the incident I made great strides to redraw everything that I lost with success. Unfortunately, the time that was lost in doing so resulted in me failing to have a complete animation by the end of the semester. 

This was a harsh experience that molded me into a much more responsible artist. Two years after the fact, I have developed a stronger sense of organization and appreciation of sophisticated planning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment